Among all the places, some places leave a special impact on our soul and in our life. Mysore is one of them. Mysore is a combination of royalty, variety and nature to its fullest. Not only Mysore palace but much other elaborated architectures will leave your eyes glittering. Here are some facts and things you can do in Mysore and around.
- LOCATION: Mysore is a city in Karnataka state. It is located 145 km from Bangalore city.
- HOW TO GO THERE: Mysore city is centrally located hence you can travel by road, rail or air. The nearest airport is Kempegowda International airport, Bangalore. From there you can either take flybus which is available from the airport itself.
- TOP THINGS TO DO: MYSORE PALACE
Mysore Palace is a historical palace and official residence of Wadiyar dynasty and the seat of the Kingdom of Mysore. The palace is in the centre of the city, and faces Chamundi hill eastwards. It is one of the famous tourist destinations after Taj Mahal.
As you enter the palace, you need to take tickets. After entering the palace you can experience the royalty by seeing the fine architect and the extravagant interiors. As you go from one room to other it gets better and better. On Sundays and Dusshera the palace is whole lighted up after 7 pm. The ticket is much less when you see the spectacular beauty of the palace.
- A SMALL TREK TO CHAMUNDI HILLS
Chamundeshwari temple is located on Chamundi hill. The legend behind is that the asura Mahishasura (the king of the city known as Mysore) was killed by goddess Chamundeshwari (or Chamundi) after a fierce fight. There are around 1000 steps to go if you are good at trekking you can go for it, otherwise half a way you can go through auto-rickshaw or public transport. As you enter you can see a statue of the asura, colourful enough to attract your attention. The temple is also quite a breathtaking. If you visit in morning hours, you can see the top of the temple in motion as the clouds move. Also, you can enjoy the colourful views around.
- BRINDAVAN GARDENS
Brindavan garden is must visit if you are planning to visit it on Sunday. Every Sunday a water show is organized along with songs and its worth watching. The show starts at 7 pm and is of nearly one hour of duration. Also, the garden is located alongside a dam on the Kaveri river. and to enter garden one have to cross a bridge either by walking or by boat (extra charges).
- MYSORE ZOO
Mysore zoo or Sri Chamarajendra zoological gardens is 157-acre zoo located near Mysore palace. It is one of oldest and popular zoo housing around 168 wide range of species. Pictures speak a lot about it. Relive child within you in this zoo. The animals, birds and reptiles that are rare to find can be seen in the zoo.
- MUSEUMS, ART GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS Mysore has a great range of museums among which National Museum Of Mankind, Art Gallery, The Jayalakshmi Vilas Complex Museum are worth giving a try.
- BEST SEASON TO VISIT: You can plan your vacation in the period of October to February as it is cold and foggy. Temperature is lowest in December up to 10 degree Celsius.
- SHOPPING: Silk sarees are very popular in the city. Also, sandalwood and its products can be seen. If possible tourist is requested to visit a silk factory for a great experience.
- WHERE TO STAY AND WHAT TO EAT
Mysore is famous for its Mysore Pak and it is a must try. Mysore has plenty of places to eat for all budget. Hotel RRR serves a good meal on the banana leaf, but it is very crowded as it is popular. Other places are Aramane cafe, Madhava Bhawan and many more. As Mysore is famous it provides with a great number of stays as well. You can find good deals on Sonder Hostel, Hotel Dasprakash, Hotel Galaxy Comfort are light on the pocket. If you are wealthy then you can prefer for Park Lane Hotel, Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel.
- POCKET-FRIENDLY TIP To save your money travel by public transport. Mysore is well connected to tourist places by public transport and cheap as well. Book in advance in case you plan in holidays season.
- WHERE NEXT: Around Mysore, you can visit Bangalore city. Other destinations will be Ooty, Coorg, to enjoy nature and coffee plantation. Also, Hampi is also a good destination with its landscapes. So next time when you plan a trip consider these points and happy travelling.
For more images visit Gallery